Ippos is a chess engine U.C.I. resu lt of a long hobby work, done in my spare time.
A BIT OF HISTORY.
As a starting point I took the old Ippolit 0.80, the very old engine, from which came the much more famous RobboLito, Ivanhoe, Fire and Houdini came to the attention of the then general to be stronger world champion Deep Rybka 3.
Ippolit was rather unstable, was devoid of any adjustment (except the Hash) and had a time management rather improvised (supported only the flash mode to move bonus).
The significantly improved with RobboLito things that corrected many errors, offered a more "manageable list" (Ippolit was a monstrous block of almost 15,000 lines), a comprehensive and efficient Time Manager and great Table Bases (the famous Robbo Bases).
The series of Ivanhoe began to provide an SMP well structured and stable, but the authors of the program (the mysterious Decembrists smile.gif) focused exclusively on RoBBoBases and engine power game remained substantially unchanged.
Only by Fire there was a certain increase of the strength of play, but the real breakthrough came with Houdini which briefly became the strongest engine of the market and dominated the scene, virtually unchallenged, for several years.
The idea of this project was to trace the source, working directly on the old and original Ippolit vers. 0.80, in an attempt to improve it and extend it, but without going through the later (RobboLito, Ivanhoe, etc ...).
It 'was a job a long and sometimes tedious, but as he went along there have been rewarding and I finally managed to finish the first stable version.
The differences compared to the original are:
- Subdivision of the various functions in multiple listings, to work more comfortably and more effectively;
- Correction of a number of bugs;
- Expansion and improvement of the King-Safety (taking some ideas from stockfish);
- Expansion and improvement of evaluation functions;
- Expansion and improvement of pedestrian evaluation;
- Complete rewrite of the Time Manager;
- Extension of the evaluation functions of the end;
- Addition of some functions for the calculation of some typical end;
- Better management of Aspiration Window;
-best estimate of the value of the material;
- Introduction of some razoring functions;
- Introduction of a smooth scaling function in the calculation of null Moves;
- Last, but very long and laborious: implementation of multi-threading.
Many things still need to be optimized and other improved, but nevertheless Ippos has a good playing strength (albeit still far from the top-engines) and an enjoyable gameplay.
Fixed a small but annoying error in PV (Principal Variation) that sfalsava research.
Now the engine solves many positions more easily and quickly "puzzle".
Also found another small mistake in the Time Manager to which I gave a temporary solution.