Yet another good guide to create opening chess book
http://www.chessprogramming.net/computerchess/creating-opening-book-maverick/Maverick is the first chess engine I’ve written which can use its own opening book. I decided at an early stage Maverick would read Polyglot opening books. It makes so much sense. Polyglot seems to be a great tool create opening books and its format seems to be emerging as the de-facto opening book standard.
So now I need to actually create an opening book. I did some research on the internet and it really is quite straightforward. Here are the steps I took:
- There are some really good free tools which you’ll need to download:
- Polyglot (the program which will generate the book)
- SCID the freeware PGN database tool
- PGN-Extract which cleans PGN files
- Opening Book Batch file and Filter I created
You will also need a database of high quality game. I used Ed Schroeder’s Million Base. Make sure your database is in PGN format.
Keywords: #tutorial #guide #PolyGlot #book #opening