Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionsimple endgame question Emptysimple endgame question

more_horiz
Hey, can a queen verses a rook win in the endgame ?
it happened to me, but I couldn't win with the queen.....

things I know, I think ?
rook vrs rook: draw
bishop vrs knight: draw
knight and bishop against king: hard win

descriptionsimple endgame question EmptyRe: simple endgame question

more_horiz
Human vs human?
Computer vs computer?
Human vs computer?

Computer vs computer - queen wins!!! biggrin

Have you the game? lol

more_horiz
Queen versus Rook is a win for the Queen, except if the Queen side put itself in some positions where the Rook side can force a draw or even a win.

more_horiz
Lourbunk,

Thats is what End Game Tablebases (EGTBs)are for. If you don't have them installed on your computer you can try out positons for free here:

http://chessok.com/?page_id=361

Just drag and drop white and black pieces onto the board and press "evaluate" and it will tell you who can win and in how many moves (maximum of 5 pieces in total).

Interrestingly, without EGTBs, most engines are not good at end games. They can only "see" as far as their search will allow so can take a long time to finish the game whereas if you have EGTBs loaded and an engine that can use them, the engine will see a recognised EGTB position eg. mate in 30 moves and carry it out without needing to do any calculation of moves.

more_horiz
queen win. u jus have to use ur queen to pin his rook to his king.. next move capture the rook and u he will be sad. that is what all the endgame book say

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum