AXWChessbot

This is a simple chess engine written in golang.

You can play against the engine here.

Strength

I have not been able to conduct a good comparison against other engines yet and furthermore I change the engine quite a bit, so the strength may vary from time to time. However the engine is available on lichess and there it beats stockfish on difficulty levels 1-4 (lichess rating levels of 800-1700) confidently on rapid 10+10 rules. Level 5 (rating 2000) is dominated by stockfish, but AXWChessBot manages to secure some wins as well.

So its strength should be between 1700 and 2000. Remember that this is a lichess rating which does not correspond to the FIDE elo ratings and that its strength also depends on the machine it is running on. More computing resources mean more depth in the search tree. The server running the bot on lichess provides enough resources for an average search depth of 5-6 plys.

WIP

This branch contains a full rewrite of the engine in golang. It is currently work-in-progress, but a lot of the original python functionality is already implemented.

Features

Written in golang
Basic UCI interface
Simple timemanagement
Simple evaluation function using
Gamephase detection of mid- and endgame
Piece value
Piece square tables
Tempo evaluation
Pair bonus
Rook on (half-)open files bonus
Passed pawn evaluation
Mobility evaluation
Simple search algorithm using
Negamax with alpha-beta-pruning
Quiescence search
Iterative deepening
Simple Move ordering
Transposition tables as cache
Killer move heuristics
Features ideas

Evaluation improvements
Pawnshield bonus
Blocked piece penalty
Search improvements
Multiprocessing (Lazy SMP?)
Used materials / Research

Chessprogramming-Wiki
Stockfish source
cpw-engine
chess-ai
sunfish
Adam Berent Blog
Dragontooth
Dragontoothmg
CounterGo
Several blogposts/stackoverflow questions found via Google

https://github.com/ArcticXWolf/AXWChessbot/releases/download/v0.0.10/axwchessbot_windows_amd64.exe

https://github.com/ArcticXWolf/AXWChessbot/releases/download/v0.0.10/axwchessbot_windows_i386.exe