Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionMy thought on manual tweaking of ctg books. EmptyMy thought on manual tweaking of ctg books.

more_horiz
Have you ever wonder why your book seems always to go down the wrong opening line? why the red mark appears on the best move of a line when you have not touched it?
The answer relay in the way chessbase has build the three.
The old obk three was build like this:
d4-- Nf6
-----c5
-----e6
-----d6
-----a6
and so on like a spreadsheet. Now if visually it may seem similar to ctg the threes where independent from each other, meaning that I could change the value of a move without effecting any other part of the three.
In ctg the threes are build more like a series of arrays.
So we have the board (a1 to h8), the pieces (p to K), the move number (0, 1, 2 etc), the symbols (!, ? etc) and the colour (red, green).
In my experience the array as been arranged without thinking of the independence of the three lines.
The emphasis has been given on the actual move (say Na3), and the colour, while the move number seems not to have any weight. What this mean? It means that if I change the colour of the move in a particular three (or more than in one three) all threes with that move will finish to have the same colour. This is valid also if you delete a move from some threes, it will disappear from all.
The conclusion is that the more you tweak a book the possibility to get into wrong lines without releasing why. The solution is in a better 'screening' of the games you import to make the book and to tweak it 'wisely'...

descriptionMy thought on manual tweaking of ctg books. EmptyRe: My thought on manual tweaking of ctg books.

more_horiz
@picasso wrote:
Have you ever wonder why your book seems always to go down the wrong opening line? why the red mark appears on the best move of a line when you have not touched it?
The answer relay in the way chessbase has build the three.
The old obk three was build like this:
d4-- Nf6
-----c5
-----e6
-----d6
-----a6
and so on like a spreadsheet. Now if visually it may seem similar to ctg the threes where independent from each other, meaning that I could change the value of a move without effecting any other part of the three.
In ctg the threes are build more like a series of arrays.
So we have the board (a1 to h8), the pieces (p to K), the move number (0, 1, 2 etc), the symbols (!, ? etc) and the colour (red, green).
In my experience the array as been arranged without thinking of the independence of the three lines.
The emphasis has been given on the actual move (say Na3), and the colour, while the move number seems not to have any weight. What this mean? It means that if I change the colour of the move in a particular three (or more than in one three) all threes with that move will finish to have the same colour. This is valid also if you delete a move from some threes, it will disappear from all.
The conclusion is that the more you tweak a book the possibility to get into wrong lines without releasing why. The solution is in a better 'screening' of the games you import to make the book and to tweak it 'wisely'...

good conclusion, but give me a headache, clear my mind please, thank u picasso exclaim

descriptionMy thought on manual tweaking of ctg books. EmptyRe: My thought on manual tweaking of ctg books.

more_horiz
@zidan wrote:

good conclusion, but give me a headache, clear my mind please, thank u picasso exclaim

which part give you headache?

more_horiz
Thank you!

more_horiz
If one select proper and high quality games for a book then even copy paste book also plays well and stronger than many books.I proved it many times.

more_horiz
This part, would you please explain it to me, sorry, i'm still too new to book tuning,,
Thanks picasso and Zedd, keep up the good work for us!

more_horiz
i'll try to make a simple example:
after you have imported your games in the new book you decide that 1... Na6 is a move that you do not want to play as black. so you check all the the first black moves and mark them 'not to play in tourney' aka 'red'. so you are very happy of yourself and put the book to play...
the surprise come later when you analise the games played vs the line in the book...
all the 'Na6' where not played indipendently of the move number...
conclusion, if you do not want to play 1.... Nf6 take off all the games with 1.... Nf6 from the database before you make the book...

more_horiz
I think the book should be left alone and played the exact way the author tuned it.

more_horiz
stockfish, we are talking on making books, not playing with the books of others....

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum