Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionLarge page memory & Houdini EmptyLarge page memory & Houdini

more_horiz
Right ok, I know nothing about large page memory/large memory pages (don't know the terminology).

I simply followed the instructions on Houdini's home page http://www.cruxis.com/chess/houdini.htm#Split_Depth

Now I have a few questions as I know nothing about this.

Will large page memory only affect Houdini or other applications also?

Is large page memory only enabled if I choose 'Run as Administrator', when opening Arena?

I read large page memory won't last for long as windows memory becomes fragmented after a little while - could someone explain this a bit more for me?

It now seems that Houdini HAS increased in speed slightly, but the hash is now 11mb...what's going on with that?

I'll really appreciate ANY answers/info you can give...I realise I'm asking alot.
Thanks guys...

descriptionLarge page memory & Houdini EmptyRe: Large page memory & Houdini

more_horiz
large page memory is just sharing of ram with hard drive.If you disable it your total size of hash is utilize from your ram and when you enable it some amount of memory utilize from ram(as shown 11mb) and remaining with hardisk.

Dnt know it effect other programs or not but houdini use it very well.

yes its gud to fragment your hard drive before enable it bcoz if you fragmented your hardisk is faster access and its gud for houdini.

If you see the size less than your hash size then large page use.

more_horiz
I'm sorry but I barely understood any of that...

"large page memory is just sharing of ram with hard drive" what does that actually mean?

"If you disable it your total size of hash is utilize from your ram"..is utilize from my ram? I don't mean to be rude but that makes NO sense.

"yes its gud to fragment your hard drive" I've never even heard of an option to fragment your HD, I've heard of defragmentation but not fragmentation. And as I implied in my OP, I know very little about fragmentation in the context of Large Page Memory...

"If you see the size less than your hash size then large page use." Again, I really don't mean to sound rude or disrespectful but I have no idea what you're trying to tell me.

more_horiz
Large page memory : Virtual memory from the hard disk allows a page that does not currently reside in main memory to be addressed and used.

If you set 512 mb hash then in some amount of that hash utilize from your ram and remaining from virtual memory thats why it show 11mb in your task manager.

Fragment or derfragment are the same...

more_horiz
@Zuhaib wrote:
Large page memory : Virtual memory from the hard disk allows a page that does not currently reside in main memory to be addressed and used.

If you set 512 mb hash then in some amount of that hash utilize from your ram and remaining from virtual memory thats why it show 11mb in your task manager.

wow, nice answer brother cool
now you clear my mind

more_horiz
@zidan wrote:
@Zuhaib wrote:

now you clear my mind

Thnx brother
confused confused

more_horiz
@Zuhaib wrote:
@zidan wrote:
@Zuhaib wrote:

now you clear my mind

Thnx brother
confused confused

Please don't feel too proud of yourself; I still feel none-the-wiser.

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum