Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionAtlantis 7.7.ctg EmptyAtlantis 7.7.ctg

more_horiz
Atlantis 7.7.ctg
63.95 Mb
Optimize 0/100
Download Page
Regards!

descriptionAtlantis 7.7.ctg EmptyRe: Atlantis 7.7.ctg

more_horiz
thanks gammer!
exclaim

more_horiz
@gammer wrote:
Atlantis 7.7.ctg
63.95 Mb
Optimize 0/100
Download Page
Regards!

Thanks

more_horiz

Thanx idea

more_horiz
@gammer, you have a PM.

more_horiz
Quite a few people keep asking me which is the best opening book so I have decided to write few lines on the myths of the strength of opening book.

1) The opening book can be weak not strong. As chess is a drawing games (we will argue about that separately) you cannot make a book that win games, are the others whom make books that loose games. It may seems the same but the difference is as big as the universe as "The number of legal positions in chess is estimated to be between 10^43 and 10^50, with a game-tree complexity of approximately 10^123. The game-tree complexity of chess was first calculated by Claude Shannon as 10^120, a number known as the Shannon number. Typically an average position has thirty to forty possible moves, but there may be as few as zero (in the case of checkmate or stalemate) or as many as 218."
If you are willing to take out pencil and paper…
2) The relation between ELO and strength equal to zero, as the ELO is in relation to that of the opponent you cannot really say that a book is ‘strong’ for reaching say 2800 points with a performance of 55% because that mean your opponent average is over 2750. Is a better book the one reach an average of 65% on a open field (if you are interested in ‘ELOmongher’ will discuss it separately) .
3) “Your book let me down!” Is the first word that come out when a book is not performing as promised. The performance of a book cannot be measured on few games and past performance are not a guarantee for further ones (there is quite a lot to say about the handling of the O.B. by the interfaces, manual adjustments etc. etc., again if somebody is interested I will be happy to discuss it separately). For “My test results show it differently”, “Is not be possible” and similar comments see above…
I like to finish this few notes with a big thank to all the book maker that post their work in here for their efforts and for our enjoyement.

more_horiz
wantedead, why repost it as if it was yours tought?
https://www.chess2u.com/t2502-opening-books-strength-myths#14949
@picasso wrote:
Atlantis 7.7.ctg Turco110
Quite a few people keep asking me which is the best opening book so I have decided to write few lines on the myths of the strength of opening book.

1) The opening book can be weak not strong. As chess is a drawing games (we will argue about that separately) you cannot make a book that win games, are the others whom make books that loose games. It may seems the same but the difference is as big as the universe as "The number of legal positions in chess is estimated to be between 10^43 and 10^50, with a game-tree complexity of approximately 10^123. The game-tree complexity of chess was first calculated by Claude Shannon as 10^120, a number known as the Shannon number. Typically an average position has thirty to forty possible moves, but there may be as few as zero (in the case of checkmate or stalemate) or as many as 218."
If you are willing to take out pencil and paper…
2) The relation between ELO and strength equal to zero, as the ELO is in relation to that of the opponent you cannot really say that a book is ‘strong’ for reaching say 2800 points with a performance of 55% because that mean your opponent average is over 2750. Is a better book the one reach an average of 65% on a open field (if you are interested in ‘ELOmongher’ will discuss it separately) .
3) “Your book let me down!” Is the first word that come out when a book is not performing as promised. The performance of a book cannot be measured on few games and past performance are not a guarantee for further ones (there is quite a lot to say about the handling of the O.B. by the interfaces, manual adjustments etc. etc., again if somebody is interested I will be happy to discuss it separately). For “My test results show it differently”, “Is not be possible” and similar comments see above…
I like to finish this few notes with a big thank to all the book maker that post their work in here for their efforts and for our enjoyement.

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum