Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionNew Intel i7 3930K processor (new socket Lga2011) is it good for chess?  EmptyNew Intel i7 3930K processor (new socket Lga2011) is it good for chess?

more_horiz
The new Intel i7 3930K processor (new socket Lga2011) is it good to run chess software like Fritz, Houdini, Stockfish & friends?

This month I will build a computer to play chess and want to buy the best parts. I have to spend 2000 euros. What do you recommend?

descriptionNew Intel i7 3930K processor (new socket Lga2011) is it good for chess?  EmptyRe: New Intel i7 3930K processor (new socket Lga2011) is it good for chess?

more_horiz
I recommend you wait for better cpus then that. they are good but much better is just around the corner.

descriptionNew Intel i7 3930K processor (new socket Lga2011) is it good for chess?  EmptyRe: New Intel i7 3930K processor (new socket Lga2011) is it good for chess?

more_horiz
Capablanca the i7 3930K is the best CPU for the money and for computer chess you can buy right now. The i7 3960k is a little bit faster but a lot more expense. If you keep waiting there will always be a faster processor waiting in the winds to come out but right NOW if you build a system around an i7 3930k you will be ahead of 99% of the people with similar software (meaning GUI's engines, books, etc) The next generation of Intel the Ivy Bridge still an estimated five to six months away from this one (the Sandy Bridge i7 3930K) and the Ivy Bridge platform is expected to offer slight improvements over Sandy Bridge in terms of performance. It won't be till 2013 that Intel is expected to introduce the Shark Bay platform that promise some interesting new features as well as yet another performance bump with the 22nm architecture.

more_horiz
Ok. I will buy a new computer with this processor.
Thanks.

more_horiz
sorry, I forgot to ask...
to work with this processor (i7 3930K - socket Lga2011) which is the best motherboard and RAM you recommend that I buy?

more_horiz
@Capablanca wrote:
sorry, I forgot to ask...
to work with this processor (i7 3930K - socket Lga2011) which is the best motherboard and RAM you recommend that I buy?

If you can afford the best (Intel X79) motherboard today is the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme. RAMs could be any brand and 16 GB is enough for your chess needs.

more_horiz
Dear Capablanca

I'm curious if this time they really build a new pc.
6 months since they say the same
!!

https://www.chess2u.com/t1490-what-is-better-pc-processor-i-can-buy
https://www.chess2u.com/t2790-new-pc-desktop-just-for-chess
https://www.chess2u.com/t3559-best-hardware-for-chess-engines
https://www.chess2u.com/t4483-pc-configuration

descriptionNew Intel i7 3930K processor (new socket Lga2011) is it good for chess?  EmptyWindow shopper ?

more_horiz
Do we have a "window shopper" here ? ... LOL ... don't feel bad Capa ... there are a lot of window shoppers nowadays ... I'm one of them too... LOL

more_horiz
Your sarcasm is not appreciated.

more_horiz
@Capablanca wrote:
The new Intel i7 3930K processor (new socket Lga2011) is it good to run chess software like Fritz, Houdini, Stockfish & friends?

This month I will build a computer to play chess and want to buy the best parts. I have to spend 2000 euros. What do you recommend?

wow its gonna a super comp exclaim but you still need a good book or youd be smashed out by dou cores lol

more_horiz
@patrickee wrote:
wow its gonna a super comp exclaim but you still need a good book or youd be smashed out by dou cores lol

Don't worry. I am a IM professional chess player and I've 23 y.o. so there's no hurry. I have plenty of time...

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum