Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionHow to beat a guy who is using Strong Book and Weak CPU ? EmptyHow to beat a guy who is using Strong Book and Weak CPU ?

more_horiz
Hi
I'm unable to get more than draws with this guy who is running only a Core2Duo. I'm running a 3930K O/C to 4.8Ghz with 32 GB RAM.
He says he has a very strong self-made book and I believe him.
I too use strong books like Houdini book and Yaneo3.abk, but when we come out of the Opening, usually Sicilian, my score is -0.55 or -0.65 or worse !
I only manage to draw because of my powerful CPU.
How do I beat this guy ?
I use Arena 3.0. We both use Houdini 2.0c.
Should I switch to Fritz ?
Should I reduce the depth of Opening Book to 15-20 moves only ? Will this force him to come out of Opening Book early ? I've read somewhere that this could backfire on me. Is it true ?
Should I play unusual Openings like 1. e3 or the relatively uncommon 1.c4 as White ?
Or 1. ...c6 as black in response to 1.e4 and 1. ..f4 to 1. d4 ?
Or should I not use an Opening Book at all ?
Or play weird openings like 1.h4 ?
Relevant suggestions please, no wisecracks !

descriptionHow to beat a guy who is using Strong Book and Weak CPU ? EmptyRe: How to beat a guy who is using Strong Book and Weak CPU ?

more_horiz
What is his name out of curiosity? Alot of people keep their books private. Is he running Fritz/chessbase gui by chance? The learn features can help tune some strong books of your own in response.

descriptionHow to beat a guy who is using Strong Book and Weak CPU ? EmptyRe: How to beat a guy who is using Strong Book and Weak CPU ?

more_horiz
Name unimportant.... just some nick, which he keeps changing.
Do you suggest I buy Fritz 13 ? Is it really better than Arena 3.0 ?
I'm more familiar with Arena 3.0 and very comfortable with it.
I have Aquarium also, but I don't like it.
Is Fritz 13 similar to Aquarium in layout ?
If so, I don't like it already !

more_horiz
There are many reasons.you could write a novel about this situation !
I try to be brief.

1.I'm unable to get more than draws with this guy who is running only a Core2Duo.
how do they know ? only on ChessBase you can see the hardware of your opponents.
they are 100% secure ?

2.I too use strong books like Houdini book and Yaneo3.abk, but when we come out of the Opening, usually Sicilian, my score is -0.55 or -0.65 or worse !
Here they ask to answer it myself !!! her opponent has a good answer in his book.
Thus, it is in their book,there seems to be weaker.

that was already there ! actually we could stop now ! but we go deeper.

3.How do I beat this guy ?
remember them: The Book is the Key!
when her opponent, his book updated daily,then you've got it very difficult !
try switching to the books and they play the latest new books.
houdini book is too old,for current fights ! It is now easily beaten.

4.Do you suggest I buy Fritz 13 ? Is it really better than Arena 3.0 ?
in the fritz gui you can use ctg books ! ctg Books are updated frequently and the selection is large !
You do not need fritz13.buy fritz11 or fritz12 for only 20-25 euro on ebay !!

again briefly summarize:
1.they use new current books !
2.They also use the table bases !
3.they have strong hardware.use 512 mb hush on short games 3-10 min. use 1024 hush on long games 12-?min.
with their hardware, they will be successful one day !

Good Luck

more_horiz
Hi,

You need to manually tune your book - that is what this guy is doing. There is no short cut or other way. Here is one way to hand tune the book that I have found very successful although it takes some time and effort. Use the book to play some engine games. Then play back over the games until you reach the point where either the book line ends and there are no more book moves, or the point at which you begin to get negative evaluations. Then set your engine on infinite analysis for a while so it goes quite deep in it's search and by doing this you will find the best next move - then add this move to the book line to extend it. Then next time your engine plays the same line it will make this better stronger move. You do not need to add the game to the book.

To manually edit the book go into Fritz and do File/Open/Openings Book and select the book you want to edit. Then select the Openings Book tab on right hand side of screen. Basically you can either:

Add a new move to the book, To do this right click somewhere in that book area (not on a move just in empty space) and tick Allow Move Adding. then when you play back through a game and want to add new line, just make the move on the actual board and then select new main line from the options. This will then have added the move to the book. You can do this for as many moves as you like so you can extend a book line quite significantly.

Change the 'weighting' of an existing move making it more/less likely to be chosen. This is shown in the Prob / % column. To change it right click on the actual move itself and do change weight. The value is from -125 (very unlikely to be picked) to +125 (very likely to be picked). You can change these manually to any value. Actually this is what the automatic book learning does based on whether games are won or lost - but this is how you do it manually.

Mark moves either red (means they won't be played ever) or green (mean they will be picked, with a probablility given by the % column). To make a move red right click on it and select Don't play in tournament
To make a move green right click on it and select Main Move. You might want to make a move red if you find that at some point in the book line you had a negative evaluation and therefore you can mark that move red so it won't be played again.

more_horiz
All of you are right! Simple; make book ( analyse moves to deeper "depth" around 30 or even deeper )... I think thats the main thing you need to do... You have very strong CPU, so you can do that without any problems.... Regards...

more_horiz
Hi shrapnel the answer to your dilemma is simple. Change your book. There are a lot of strong FREE books that you can try. With the kind of CPU you have, should NOT be losing that often. Houdini book is outdated. Change to Fritz and change your book and you'll beat that guy most of the time.

more_horiz
@shrapnel wrote:
Hi
I'm unable to get more than draws with this guy who is running only a Core2Duo. I'm running a 3930K O/C to 4.8Ghz with 32 GB RAM.
He says he has a very strong self-made book and I believe him.
I too use strong books like Houdini book and Yaneo3.abk, but when we come out of the Opening, usually Sicilian, my score is -0.55 or -0.65 or worse !
I only manage to draw because of my powerful CPU.
How do I beat this guy ?
I use Arena 3.0. We both use Houdini 2.0c.
Should I switch to Fritz ?
Should I reduce the depth of Opening Book to 15-20 moves only ? Will this force him to come out of Opening Book early ? I've read somewhere that this could backfire on me. Is it true ?
Should I play unusual Openings like 1. e3 or the relatively uncommon 1.c4 as White ?
Or 1. ...c6 as black in response to 1.e4 and 1. ..f4 to 1. d4 ?
Or should I not use an Opening Book at all ?
Or play weird openings like 1.h4 ?
Relevant suggestions please, no wisecracks !

Dude, you must learn how make your own book and you will beat them all with your Comp's power..

more_horiz
OK Thank you all
I got the answer elsewhere on another site.
Basically, not to get into any of the main lines which have been heavily analyzed already. Play so that the Engine kicks in early and the opponent is also forced to leave his Book.
My 3930 K and 32 GB RAM will take care of the rest lol

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum