Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionWSCE Supertournament II - A tribute to TCEC EmptyWSCE Supertournament II - A tribute to TCEC

more_horiz
"What if computer chess engines are given decent hardware and a healthy amount of thinking time at their disposal"

Thoresen Chess Engines Competition (TCEC) ran for only a very short time, starting in late 2010, and ending in May, 2011. But the two seasons had created a revolution in computer engine testing.

With 6 cores to run on, a very long time control and ALL of the best engines in the in the tournament, engine testers and chess fans were able to watch many spectacular games, and the rise of today's top engines such as Critter, Stockfish, and IvanHoe.

In Season 1, Houdini and Rybka finished in the Top 2 of the Division I group, and Houdini proceeded to defeat Rybka head-to-head to become the #1 Engine in the world, a title Houdini has soundly held onto ever since.

I wish to re-create the magic that the TCEC had brought to the computer chess community, with the same time control, and the best engines in the world competing in a double round-robin supertournament.

The rules

ChessGUI 0.239
Double Round Robin
Time Control G/150 + 30
Ponder OFF
3-4-5 EGTB can be used by engines
Championship Book 2012.pgn
1024MB Hash (2048 is possible)
3-1-0 Scoring System (3 for a win, 1 for a draw)
***LIVE BROADCAST PLANNED USING TOM'S LIVE CHESS SERVER***

6 ELITE engines will be selected, and the top 2 engines in the Supertournament Qualifier will total eight engines.

Let's HYPE THIS TOURNEY UP!!!!

descriptionWSCE Supertournament II - A tribute to TCEC EmptyRe: WSCE Supertournament II - A tribute to TCEC

more_horiz

A great idea, a great initiative.

Sure to please.

I do not understand what the point system.
If they were human, distributing prizes, understand.
But the engines struggle for victory.
Ties are by the same science of chess.

You set the rules, think carefully.
Thank you very much.

descriptionWSCE Supertournament II - A tribute to TCEC EmptyRe: WSCE Supertournament II - A tribute to TCEC

more_horiz
The 3-1-0 scoring system was one of the TCEC rules.

Also, the tournament is scheduled to run from December 11-31.

more_horiz
Results from last year's tournament; Logical Consequence

10.5 Houdini 2.0
8.5 Deep Rybka 4.1
8.5 Stockfish 10/30 Compile
8.5 IvanHoe 47c
8.5 Komodo 3.0
5.5 Critter 1.2
3.5 Deep Shredder 12
2.5 Fritz 13

Houdini, Komodo, Critter, Rybka & Stockfish are of course the Top 5 engines in the world. One of them, will not be playing this year, unless I increase the list to 10 engines instead of the intended 8.

Let me hear your feedback.

more_horiz
Only 5 days to go before the Supertournament!

I have some questions to ask to this community about which engines to select.

Komodo 5 or Deep Rybka 4.1 Which should I select and why?

Komodo is #2 on the IPON rating list, although Deep Rybka is believed to be better in long time controls.

Stockfish 2.3.1 or Sting SF 2?

Stockfish is supposed to be better than Sting, but in Graham's Supertournament, Sting finished in the Top 5 and Stockfish with a minus score!

Vitruvius, Strelka, Fire xTreme, or Robbolito Which of these 4 top derivatives deserve to get the tab?

Each are extremely strong, perhaps Robbolito is the best, but Vitruvius is my personal favorite.

PLEASE, PLEASE leave feedback on this. It will help me decide on the final selections.

more_horiz
@Castle00 wrote:
Only 5 days to go before the Supertournament!

I have some questions to ask to this community about which engines to select.

Komodo 5 or Deep Rybka 4.1 Which should I select and why?

Komodo is #2 on the IPON rating list, although Deep Rybka is believed to be better in long time controls.

Both

Stockfish 2.3.1 or Sting SF 2?

Stockfish is supposed to be better than Sting, but in Graham's Supertournament, Sting finished in the Top 5 and Stockfish with a minus score!

Tough call. Probably still Stockfish at this stage.

Vitruvius, Strelka, Fire xTreme, or Robbolito Which of these 4 top derivatives deserve to get the tab?

Each are extremely strong, perhaps Robbolito is the best, but Vitruvius is my personal favorite.

Strelka is the strongest out of these.

PLEASE, PLEASE leave feedback on this. It will help me decide on the final selections.

more_horiz
Here are the participants for the 2nd WSCE Supertournament.
ELO Ratings are from the Grand Unified Rating List from November 2012.

Houdini 3 64-bit 4CPU (Belgium)
Author: Robert Houdart
ELO: 3340
#1 Rated Chess Engine in the World
3-Time CCRL Supertournament Champion
Elite 4CPU I Champion
2-time TCEC Champion
2-time reigning WSCE World Champion

Critter 1.6a 64-bit 4CPU (Slovakia)
Author: Richard Vida
ELO: 3267
Strongest Freeware Engine in the World
#2 Rated Chess Engine in the World
The Champions 2012 Supertournament Co-Champion
8-time CCRL Amateur Division I Championnnn
WSCE Season 1 Runner-up

Deep Rybka 4.1 64-bit 4CPU (United States)
Author: Vasik Rajlich
ELO: 3248
2-time ICT Champion
30th Dutch Computer Open Champion
5-time CCRL Supertournament Champion
The Champions 2012 4CPU Co-Champion

Stockfish 2.3.1 64-bit 4CPU (Norway)
Authors: Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba, Joona Kiiski
ELO: 3240
2-time CCRL Supertournament Champion
Elite 4CPU II Champion
12-time and reigning CCRL Amateur Division I Champion

Bouquet 1.6 64-bit 4CPU (France)
Author: Jose M Velasco
ELO: 3223
#1 Rated Ippolit Derivative Engine
WSCE Supertournament Qualifier Co-Champion

Strelka 5.5 64-bit (Russia)
Author: Jury Osipov
ELP: 3193
Supertournament XVI Champion
2-time CCRL Amateur Division I Champion
WSCE Season 2 Runner-up

Equinox 1.65 64-bit 4CPU (Italy)
Author: Giancarlo Delli Colli
ELO: 3193
2011 Italian Computer Chess Champion
2012 Italian Computer Chess Co-Champion

Naum 4.2 64-bit 4CPU (Canada)
Author: Aleksandar Naumov
ELO: 3153
#1 Rated Canadian Program
4-time Top 3 finisher in CCRL Supertouranments
WSCE Supertournament Qualifier Runner-up

more_horiz
Despite my best efforts, I am not as skilled as Olivier and Andres is, and I was unable to set up Tom's Live Chess Server for all of the chess2u viewers (and my fans) to enjoy the games.

What I will do however, is provide daily updates on the pairings, results, and reviews of ALL 56 games.

Also, here's what I think the results will be

Houdini: 50% chance to win
Critter: 15% chance to win
Deep Rybka: 10% chance to win
Stockfish: 10% to win
Bouquet: 7% chance to win
Strelka: 3% chance to win
Equinox: 3% chance to win
Naum: 1% chance to win

Predicted Final Scores

9.0 Houdini 3
8.0 Critter
8.0 Deep Rybka
7.5 Stockfish
7.0 Equinox
7.0 Bouquet
6.0 Strelka
3.5 Naum

Last edited by Castle00 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
ROUND 1

Bouquet vs Deep Rybka 1/2-1/2
The Supertournament starts with a Dutch Defense. Bouquet gets a significant space advantage, but Rybka holds firm, eventually getting 2 pawns for the exchange amd with white's exposed king the game ended in a draw in 59 moves.

Equinox vs Stockfish 1/2-1/2
This game opens with a main line of the 7.Nf3 exchange grunfeld; a very sharp line. Stockfish equalizes quickly, and starts pressing a little on the endgame, but Equinox holds. Drawn in 89 moves.

Houdini vs Naum 1-0
The contest begins with the Moscow variation of the Slav Defense. Naum innovated with 13...a5 but made the poor positional move 16...b5 giving it a backward pawn on an open file as well as an imprisoned light-squared bishop. Houdini nursed its positional advantage, win the exchange on the 49th move and convert the advantage in the endgame, and win in 77 moves.

Critter vs Strelka 1/2-1/2
The 3...Qd6 Scandinavian defense, popularized by GM Tiviakov recently made it into the repertoire of the top GM's in the world. Critter sacrifices a pawn on the 16th move for complete development and black's king in the center, but the compensation doesn't provide the desired results, while Strelka doesn't move the king until the 46th move. Critter was in some trouble, but found counterplay by putting the major pieces on the 8th rank, and the game ended in repetition in 66 moves.

Last edited by Castle00 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:17 am; edited 10 times in total

more_horiz
Which version of Stockfish you're using? smile

more_horiz
2.3.1 this time. I know there are recent builds that show improvement, but decided to stick with official versions. There isnt going to be that Fritz 13 UCI flap from last year! bigsmile

more_horiz
ROUND 2

Bouquet vs Stockfish 1/2-1/2
The game starts with a 4...Bf5 Caro-Kan. Bouquet's innovation with 17.Nh4 allowed a combination for Stockfish to equalize quickly and easily. Drawn in 36 moves.

Deep Rybka vs Naum 1/2-1/2
The contest opens with the Russian variation of the Grunfeld defense. Both sides get passed pawns deep into enemy territory, but Rybka's is much more dangerous. Naum sacrifices the exchange and simplifies to a drawn Rook vs Bishop endgame with all the pawns on the kingside. Rybka can not make headway. Draw in 104 moves.

Equinox vs Strelka 1/2-1/2
The contest opens with the first Nimzo-Indian of the tournament. Equinox secures an advantage out of the opening, getting a passed pawn on the a-file. Strelka manages to simplify into a 2 bishops vs rook endgame with all of the pawns on the kingside, and the game was drawn in 86 moves.

Houdini vs Critter 1-0
Another Nimzo, but due to a bug, both sides are on their own on the 5th move. Critter chooses a dubious line and Houdini gets the advantage out of the opening. Critter has a bad benoni-like position and when Houdini closes the queenside, Critter is devoid of any counterplay and suffers until move 64 where Critter stopped moving, and I called the fight. T-K-O

Standings after Round 2 (3-1-0 scoring system)

6/6 Houdini 3
2/6 Deep Rybka, Equinox, Strelka, Bouquet, Stockfish
1/6 Naum, Critter

Last edited by Castle00 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
ROUND 3

Bouquet vs Naum 1-0
Another Grunfeld, this time with the 10...Qc7 main line. Bouquet gets the better of it with more space and a centralized knight. Naum makes a mistake on the 42nd move and Bouquet capitalizes, eventually winding up with 2 pawns and a winning position. 1-0 in 97 moves.

Stockfish vs Strelka 1-0
A Taimanov Sicilian with opposite-side castling. Strelka sacrifices a pawn on the 16th move and the game was balanced until the 32nd move. Suddenly Strelka's evaluation plummets, underestimating Stockfish's 34th move and now Stockfish has a pawn AND the advantage! Strelka is unable to defend and Stockfish takes the win.

Deep Rybka vs Critter 1-0
The main line King's Indian, with a closed pawn structure, the kind of positions engines have trouble understanding. The queenside is quickly opened up as both engines fight on the kingside. Critter never did achieve full equality. Rybka soon won a pawn and then forced a favorable endgame, which was successfully converted into a win in 77 moves.

Equinox vs Houdini 1/2-1/2
This opening involved the Berlin Defense of the Ruy Lopez, where Equinox managed to gain an edge despite Houdini's active rooks, on move 33, Houdini sacrificed a knight for 2 kingside pawns, which proved enough compensation as the queenside gets liquidated. Houdini would have even queened a pawn in the end, but the GUI called a tablebase draw on the 66th move.

STANDINGS (3-1-0 scoring system)

7.0 Houdini
5.0 Deep Rybka, Bouquet, Stockfish
3.0 Equinox
2.0 Strelka
1.0 Critter, Naum

STANDINGS (Traditional System)

2.5 Houdini
2.0 Deep Rybka, Bouquet, Stockfish
1.5 Equinox
1.0 Strelka
0.5 Critter, Naum

ROUND 4

Bouquet vs Strelka
Naum vs Critter
Stockfish vs Houdini
Deep Rybka vs Equinox

Last edited by Castle00 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:52 am; edited 5 times in total

more_horiz
EVERYBODY, TRY THIS.

http://www.screenleap.com/393917015

This should show LIVE SCREENSHOTS of the Supertournament In Progress. Please tell me if this works. It should show Stockfish vs Strelka right now.

Last edited by Castle00 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Yes, work fine.
Although my connection is very bad today.

WSCE Supertournament II - A tribute to TCEC Screen10

more_horiz
There is of course some lag when the screen is updating, up to 15 seconds. It is no problem on your part.

Also, be sure to use "fit to screen" instead of actual screen size. I will be sure to keep the screen up as long as possible.

I should give thanks to Clemens Keck. It was his tournament he was running that led me to this alternative to TLCV.

more_horiz
ROUND 4 (UPDATING)

***LIVE BROADCAST CAN BE SEEN ON http://www.screenleap.com/castle00 ***

Please note the broadcast may go out at times. The problem is likely because the computer I am using is taking too many resources.

ROUND 4

Bouquet vs Strelka 1-0
The opening is a 9.h3 Anti-marshall in the Ruy Lopez. Strelka gets the d5 break in early, and some tactics follow. Strelka gives up the exchange for a dangerous light-squared bishop and a passed e-pawn, for a dynamically balanced position. There follows 90 moves of maneuvering and with the position even on move 110, Strelka for no reason gives up its prized e-pawn without compensation! The position still appears drawn, but when an exchange-down ending is reached, Bouquet pushes its passed b-pawn and Strelka's position is hanging by a thread. One more error and it's over. After EIGHT HOURS and 200 moves, Bouquet emerges from the marathon victorious!

Naum vs Critter 1-0
Another Anti-Marshall line, with white playing a3 and d3. Critter's struggles continue as it is outplayed by Naum, which grabs a oawn, penetrates the kingside and wins the game. Critter has now lost 3 in a row!

Stockfish vs Houdini 0-1
A main line grunfeld is seen, and it seems Houdini was able to equalize out of the opening. Houdini gains an edge as it simplifies into a knight endgame, where on move 36, Stockfish may have made the decisive mistake. Houdini uses the pawn structure weaknesses to force zugzwang and win in 57 moves. The first Black win after 8 defeats.

Deep Rybka vs Equinox 1/2-1/2
The first Petroff of the tournament involves the 3.d4 Main line where black gambits a pawn for activity. Rybka immediately gave it back for central control, and manages to get an advantage in the endgame, but Equinox is able to defend and the game is drawn in 77 moves.

STANDINGS (3-1-0 Scoring System)

10/12 Houdini 3
8/12 Bouquet 1.6
6/12 Deep Rybka 4.1
5/12 Stockfish 2.3.1
4/12 Equinox 1.65, Naum 4.2
2/12 Strelka 5.5
1/12 Critter 1.6a

Standings (Traditional System)

3.5 Houdini 3
3.0 Bouquet 1.6
2.5 Deep Rybka 4.1
2.0 Stockfish 2.3.1, Equinox 1.65
1.5 Naum 4.2
1.0 Strelka 5.5
0.5 Critter 1.6a

ROUND 5

Bouquet vs Critter
Strelka vs Houdini
Naum vs Equinox
Stockfish vs Deep Rybka

more_horiz
LIVE BROADCAST CAN BE SEEN ON www.screenleap.com/castle00

Round 5

Bouquet vs Critter 1-0

My favorite opening, the Sicilian Dragon is played in this game. In the 9.O-O-O line, Bouquet introduces the improvement 16.g4 and Critter fails to reply accurately. Bouquet winds up with a huge advantage. Critter goes into an endgame but is unable to defend against the pressure and Bouquet wins in 50 moves. Critter has now lost 4 in a row!

Strelka vs Houdini
Naum vs Equinox 0-1

A King's Indian Attack setup is played and Equinox equalizes, and by the 35th move, Equinox gains the advantage and goes on to win its first game of the event.

Stockfish vs Deep Rybka 0-1

The contest starts with the Vienna variation of the Queens Gambit, a very unbalanced opening. Rybka manages to create threats on the kingside while Stockfish cannot do anything against black's central king. Rybka forces a favorable rook endgame with a passed pawn on h2. Soon, Rybka sacrifices it and penetrates with the king, netting 2 pawns and the game in 85 moves.

more_horiz
Okay, Strelka vs Houdini was delayed because Houdini had a hiccup when the game started. But it led me to discover a particularly EMBARASSING, but not outright fatal mistake I had made

In ChessGUI, in order to make a proper double round-robin it is necessary to check "Alternate Colors" and set the pairings as "Type 2", which I did not. Thus certain engines had white more often than others in double round robin tournaments. Had I randomly decided to take a vacation for 2 weeks, this means Bouquet would've had white all 14 games in the Supertournament.

Since half of the 56 tournament games have not been played, none of the 18 completed games have to be replayed. I would, however need to sort out this mess and clean it up as best as I can, so please feel free to make fun of my situation. lol

Not everybody can laugh off their own mistakes!

more_horiz
Here's some of the fixed results

Round 1

Bouquet 1/2-1/2 Deep Rybka
Equinox 1/2-1/2 Stockfish
Houdini 1-0 Naum
Critter 1/2-1/2 Strelka

Round 2

Equinox 1/2-1/2 Deep Rybka
Houdini 0-1 Bouquet
Critter 1/2-1/2 Stockfish
Strelka 1/2-1/2 Naum

Round 3

Houdini 1-0 Deep Rybka
Critter 1/2-1/2 Equinox
Strelka 1/2-1/2 Bouquet
Naum 1/2-1/2 Stockfish

And yes, I will provide details of Bouquet beating Houdini.

more_horiz
Houdini wins Tribute to TCEC despite losing both games to Bouquet, Critter winless and finishes LAST

FINAL RESULTS

3-1-0 Scoring System

28.0 Houdini 3
24.0 Bouquet 1.6
19.0 Equinox 1.65, Deep Rybka 4.1
18.0 Stockfish 2.3.1
12.0 Naum 4,2
11.0 Strelka 5.5
8.0 Critter 1.6a

PGN files of all games from season 3 will be organized and released as soon as the last tournament concludes.

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum