Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionmaking opening book Emptymaking opening book

more_horiz
There are essentially 4 components in making/tuning a book:
These instructions are very clear:

1. Start with a database of games that you want to use to make your book.

2. Create a new book in Fritz by selecting FILE/NEW/OPENINGS BOOK - call it anything you like.

3. Open your new book by selecting FILE/OPEN/OPENINGS BOOK and selecting the new book you created earlier.

4. Now import the games from your database by selecting EDIT/OPENINGS BOOK/IMPORT GAMES and navigating to your database.

5. There is a dialogue box which you need to tick against. "Games" is the number of games you want to import. Default is all games are selected so leave this. "Length" is how deep the lines will be in the book. Choosing "ECO-relative" plus a number will make the main line variations longer than the oddball side variations. If you pick "Absolute length" and a number, it will make all the variations the length you chose, regardless of whether the variation is a main line or side line - so book will be deeper. "Include variations" is important if some of the games from your database contain commentary in the form of sub-variations, but can be left un-ticked.

6. When you're finished with these settings, click "OK". You'll see a progress bar appear, keeping you posted as to how close Fritz has come to completing the, you'll see a menu of moves where the empty book had been and a small window saying "x new positions" (this tells you how many positions total are in the new tree). Click OK, and you're finished.

To manually edit the book

if you have the little booklet that came with Fritz 9 then in sections 5.6 and all of section 11 give details. Also there is a manual on the Fritz 9 DVD . Pages 49 to 54 give some instructions to have a look at. Meanwhile here is a brief pointer:

Go into Fritz and do File/Open/Openings Book and select the book you want to edit. Then select the Openings Book tab on right hand side of screen. Basically you can either

a) add a new move to the book, To do this right click somewhere in that book area (not on a move just in empty space) and tick Allow Move Adding. then when you play back through a game and want to add new line, just make the move on the actual board and then select new main line from the options. This will then have added the move to the book.

b) change the 'weighting' of an existing move making it more/less likely to be chosen. This is shown in the Prob / % column. To change it right click on the actual move itself and do change weight. The value is from -125 (very unlikely to be picked) to +125 (very likely to be picked). You can change these manually to any value. Actually this is what the automatic book learning does based on whether games are won or lost - but this is how you do it manually.

c) or mark moves either red (means they won't be played ever) or green (mean they will be picked, with a probablility given by the % column). To make a move red right click on it and select Don't play in tournament
To make a move green right click on it and select Main Move. You might want to make a move red if you find that at some point in the book line you had a negative evaluation and therefore you can mark that move red so it won't be played again.

There is a lot more to it than this but this should give you enough to start creating and editing your book. I hope this helps you.

Regards
ROBOT

descriptionmaking opening book EmptyRe: making opening book

more_horiz
thx ROBOT
great topic, here the best books authors

Last edited by Oz on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
Yes, of course... :)

Opening books
reason for their currently fast development and improvement and why rating lists looks so strange and how to be a good author.

before i want to give hints about how to make a good book i want to explain a few elemental things you have to understand:
i'd say the first opening book was maybe created after adding the first game into a database. from that point on, we got more and more information to create statistics on certain moves. there are four important statistics our books saves for us: 1.%-overall score of a move 2.N-Number of games with this move 3.Average Elo and 4.Elo Performance.

we have tons of human games from the past years. which is great! because Grand Masters have proven to act much more intelligent in choosing strong opening moves than engines. On the other hand engines have proven to make less tactical mistakes/blunders during a game after the opening.
before we had engines we had tons of good opening moves, but the problem was you couldnt trust their statistics. only a few top players had a clue of what opening moves are currently working quite good (what lines are refuted and so on). too many games with bad openings have been won and too many good openings have been lost, also because stronger players played bad opening against weaker (ok here its not so bad we have elo-performance.) 2nd: a move with an elo performance of 2800 was good for a human, but its not sayed that its also for an engine with almost 3000 elo.

Even so, to let engine use those games and statistics has proven to be a good thing, because engines were still weaker than human in choosing opening moves and wouldve played too often exactly the same moves based on their calculations. so we used books.
now that we did that you must note that there is no more problem in using eng-eng games for an opening book because the moves were invented by human.
so we have the possibility to add or only use the statistics of those eng-eng games which are more usefull than the more random statistics we had before. not because the results of eng-eng games are much more based on the opening, its because the results are more correct because less blunders happen.
imo we are already far enough not to use eng-eng games only

so currently we have many factors that automatically tune the strenght of our books:
1. tons of Eng-Eng games (on playchess server f.e.) are played that we can import in our books and improve our statistics
2. Engines + Hardware are getting stronger
3. tons of book authors using engines trying to find good moves and catch good lines. good working lines and moves will have good statistics and will therefor get famous and will be often played.

so that whole development and imrovement of opening books is currently running crazy fast and that almost just by playing games!

if all this happens anyway, what can you still do in beeing superior than other book authors?

1.be faster - be the first to find a new good move. be the first to see if a line doesnt work anymore and so on.

2.have more experience - its a good thing if you often create new books but remember what moves are good and what are not. save the most important hand tuned lines/games into an own database. maybe they havent been played yet and will later celebrate their success.(happens more often than u think)

3.be more accurate - change your lines exactly at the right position than just remove the whole line if it doesnt work (thats what learning does)

4.be more careful with the games you choose (= get stronger moves) - choose games from databases you trust in. choosing games of better players than others and from higher time controls is always a good thing. what you want is having the correct result of an opening. a good idea is to have a look if rybka score after last book move agrees with the result.

5.have more information - size is a good thing if it doesnt affect the strenght of the information negatively.. one the one hand it would be stupid to analize every game before import it into your book and you'd have 100 games after a week on the other hand its dumb to just implement any game you find out there. there are ways that work fast and that also are effective to be quite sure that your games are good.

6.be more broadbanded - just make your book use a few lines that work well can have a good single result in book test especially in sedats (i can easily tell why amazing was strongest. it had the strongest main lines at that time and he didnt show them to noone before, not saying this wouldnt be great/amazing afford!) but in fact if its not broadbanded it will be destroyed very fast. i promise just a week after beeing on top there your book would be dead because everyone has the games it played.

last but not least
7.always update your book - even a super strong broadbanded book wont last more then a month. you have to be up to date because you are fighting against tons of other authors that automatically work together in destroying your book, and that automatically improve from new games and especially improve against your book if its on top. as you can see it often just takes to refute a few main lines which is going very fast without much work.

more_horiz
thx Bobi74

more_horiz
Making strong books - by Sebi:

Making a good book:
1. You have to create an empty book and an empty database first.
Give them names so that you can recognize them easily!

-> The empty database is for the games you will import into the book later.
2. Take your big database and search for games.

This games should be like the following:
- Make sure that you take only wins!
- Use only mated games!

Ok when you now have your big database in front of you do following:
1. Search first for white wins:
Eco: B00-C99 , 1-0 , Checkmate, 1-80 moves , Elo of players is not important
When you have these games copy them into the empty new database

2. Now you can search for black wins:
Search against every white opening only one black answer
An example: 1. e4 c5 or 1. d4 Nf6 -> if you have only 1 answer on every move
then your book does not become so big, because big books make your hardware
slower
My suggestions for openings as black:
1. e4 c5; 1. d4 Nf6; 1. c4 e5; 1. Nf3 c5; 1. b3 c5; 1.f4 c5; 1. g3 e5;
1. Nc3 c5; 1.b4 c6; 1.g4 e5;
But first search only for all black wins you can find:
Eco: A00 - E99; 0-1 ; Ckeckmate; 1-80 moves; Elo : both 2400-9999
If you have these games copy them too in the new database where the white wins
already are

When you have now copied all games in the new database , please open your
empty book
1. Import all games in it (might take some time)
2. Make Priority Analysis as following: First with the white wins
+ Repertoire White
Then for the black wins (Repertoire Black activate)

When you have done that then look for the openings you want to play
Here are my suggestions: Mark them in your opening book as green and
all other alternatives as red
When you play white:
e4 c5 Nf3 d6 d4 c:d4 N:d4 Nf6 Nc3
->a6 -> Be3
->Nc6 -> f3
->g6 -> Be3
->e6 -> g4
->Nbd7 -> Be3
->Bd7 -> Bg5
->e5 -> Bb5
->Qc7 -> Be2
->Qa5 ->Bd2
->h6 ->Be3
->b6 ->Bb5+
->Be6 -> N:e6
e4 c5 Nf3 Nc6 d4 c:d4 N:d4
->e6 ->Nc3
->g6 ->c4
->d6 ->Nc3
->e5 ->Nd4-b5
->Qb6 ->Nd4-b3 These are all not the main variations
->d5 ->e4:d5 Black's main variation is Nf6
->Qc7 ->Nb1-c3 Answers against it you can see underneath
->Qa5 -> Nb1-c3
->a6 ->c4
->N:d4 ->Q:d4
->Ne5 ->Nc3

-> Nf6 Nc3
Black's moves after Nc3:
->d6 ->f3
->e5 -Nd4-b5 (strong for black)
->e6 -Nd4:c6
-a6 -N:c6
-g6 -N:c6
-Qb6 -Nb3
-Qc7 -Ndb5
-Qa5 -f3
-Rb8 -Be2
-h6 -N:c6
-d5 -Bb5
e4 c5 Nf3 e6 d4 c:d4 N:d4
->Nc6 -> Nc3
->a6 ->Bd3
->Nf6 ->Nc3
->Bc5 ->Be3
->d6 ->Nc3
->Qb6 ->Nc3
->Qc7 ->Bd3
->d5 ->Bb5
->e5 ->Nf3

If black plays e4 e6 then you mark in the book: d4
You go on like this:
e4 c6 d4
e4 d5 e:d5
e4 Nf6 e5 Nd5 d4
e4 e5 Nf3 Nf6 N:e5
e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 Bb5
e4 d6 d4
e4 Nc6 d4
e5 g5 d4
e4 g6 d4

If you are black play as following:
e4 c5 Nf3 Nc6 d4 c:d4 N:d4 Nf6 Nc3 e5
d4 Nf6 c4 e6
d4 Nf6 Nf3 e6
c4 e5
b3 c5
b4 c6
Nf3 c5

Good luck!!!

descriptionmaking opening book Emptymaking opening book

more_horiz
thanks to all friend your articles were really nice

here is request can any one explain it through vedio or images......

it would really help me.....

more_horiz
@Ashu Sahu wrote:
here is request can any one explain it through vedio or images......

it would really help me.....

https://www.chess2u.com/t6350-excellent-new-guide-to-bookmaking
https://www.chess2u.com/t6488-how-to-make-strong-chess-opening-book-ctg-format
https://www.chess2u.com/t6659-guide-to-make-book

more_horiz
Robot could you explain me the 5th point of your 1st article

more_horiz
This is kinda long to learn. I think no book making is perfect but I just prefer someone with more experience to make books for me biggrin

more_horiz
@Ashu Sahu wrote:
Robot could you explain me the 5th point of your 1st article

Hi,

I actually wrote the instructions that Robot posted so will answer this. Point (5) is all about when you import a database of games in to create the book - deciding how big (size) and how deep (how many moves deep the book plays) you want your book to be. To see the screen in Fritz where you do this, load the PDF from this link. It is an excellent step by step guide to book making by Nick Carlin. Go to page 15 of 73 :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14906951/So%20you%20want%20to%20be%20a%20chess%20engine%20bookmaker.pdf

The values that you fill in there will determine how large and how deep your book is.
"Games" - is the number of games in the database that you want to import to the book. Default is all games are selected so leave this as it is.
"Length" - is how deep the lines will be in the book. I suggest choose "Absolute length" and a number as this will make all the variations play to that depth. The number is the number of half moves (one for black and one for white), so for example if you set length to 50 the book will play to 25 moves deep then stop. If you set length to 80 the book will play to 40 moves. If you want the book to play to 100 moves deep, set length to 200 and so on.
"Include variations" is only really important if some of the games from your database contain commentary in the form of sub-variations, but for bookmaking leave this un-ticked.

I hope this helps you. I'm not sure how else to explain it really - best to try making a book and use the settings then load the book and see how big and deep it is.

more_horiz
who's made new book post link here i want test it biggrin

more_horiz
thank you

more_horiz
Excellent Tutorial ROBOT,Bobi74,goldminer_999 all bigsmile
Thanks

more_horiz