Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionHash Size Testing EmptyHash Size Testing

more_horiz
Hi,

I'm running Houdini 3 with 4670k OCed to 4.6ghz.

At 30mb hash after a minute of analysis on starting position I get:
756,684,167 nodes total, with ending speed of 12,611 Kn/sec

At 512mb hash:
717,326,566 nodes total, with ending speed of 11,955 Kn/sec

I did the test with 15 seconds of analysis to a similar result. This makes no sense to me. The higher hash should cause the 1 minute analysis to be much faster on the higher has, correct?
I'm using Arena 3.0 GUI.

descriptionHash Size Testing EmptyRe: Hash Size Testing

more_horiz
Bump, weirded out that nobody cares about this issue. This can make or break a tournament.

more_horiz
Dark_Wizzie,

From my years of experience in engine and computer chess playing and tresting, search depth is far more important than kn/s in determining strength of play and performance. It is a well know anomaly that a very small hash size incraeses speed in terms of kn/s, but results in a less deep search level in terms of plies. So in blitz engine play, you can set hash to a ridiculously low setting say 16Mb amd get what looks like a huge kn/s, but you will get a low searcj depth. Set the engine to 512Mb and you will get a lower kn/s but 2 or 3 ply deeper search. So in your experiemnt, what was the search depth using both hash sizes ?

more_horiz
@goldminer_999 wrote:
Dark_Wizzie,

From my years of experience in engine and computer chess playing and tresting, search depth is far more important than kn/s in determining strength of play and performance. It is a well know anomaly that a very small hash size incraeses speed in terms of kn/s, but results in a less deep search level in terms of plies. So in blitz engine play, you can set hash to a ridiculously low setting say 16Mb amd get what looks like a huge kn/s, but you will get a low searcj depth. Set the engine to 512Mb and you will get a lower kn/s but 2 or 3 ply deeper search.  So in your experiemnt, what was the search depth using both hash sizes ?  
Thanks for the reply!

Below are my test results. Ran from starting position with Houdini 3.

https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img849/3130/ueq5.png

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum