Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionAMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind! EmptyAMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind!

more_horiz
AMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind! 110
AMD giving out chips - that you can eat!

Just came to know that AMD has been doing some guerrilla marketing targeted at Intel Developers Forum / IDF attendees  - using real potato chips with AMD branding. Seems like a daring (and funny) initiative . Check out the pictures below.
AMD has also put up a webpage talking about chips, APU, ongoing AMD events and AMD's story ("our story" hyperlink just takes you to AMD's "About" page) - Here's the "chips" webpage . If you're not visiting the page, you can get a glimpse of what's there, from the pictures below.
If you're not visiting the page, you can get a glimpse of what's there, from the pictures below.
AMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind! 210
AMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind! 310
AMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind! 410 AMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind! 510
AMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind! 611 AMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind! 710

I don't really get it. "Hungry for a different chip"? Why such a "high and mighty" statement? AMD APUs haven't really been that successful so far. Ofcourse they are ahead of Intel when it comes to integrating the graphics core with a CPU - probably thanks to added IP from ATI, but is there something else brewing?

I wish to think there is and that they will come up with something more promising in the performance segment of PC business (don't we all?) But looking at the way AMD has been getting beat by Intel chips, I wonder what's this about - maybe some executive / PR campaign chief was craving chips, and whipped out the campaign ideas - this Pinterest page shared on AMD's website seems to be emphasizing that.  On a serious note, this campaign is perhaps just intended to get some attention for their other ventures in areas such as SOCs.

Anyway, I do like AMD's idea of handing out chips + inviting IDF attendees to AMD's own such event (two birds in one stone for attendees!)- seems like a cheap move but subtle/funny too. What do you guys think?

Sources:
AMD Targets IDF 2013 Antendees with Guerilla Marketing Campaign - Legit Reviews
AMD is handing out (potato) chips at Intel’s Developer Conference | Chips | Geek.com
AMD - A Different Chip
The AMD story from AMD homepage

descriptionAMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind! EmptyRe: AMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind!

more_horiz
Honestly don't care. Friendly rivalry is a good thing. I'm watching their livestream right now as a matter of fact. Interested in their latest line of GPUs and what it means for gaming. As a company I hope AMD gets back the edge it once had.

They've finally gotten a working driver to fix their bad, bad frame latency issues. It's not perfect but it's a darn good first step. I might be busy with school but of course Nvidia will want to fight back later with Maxwell, always nice to see. I think my 7970 can still tolerate BF4 max on 1440p. Barely. Barely... Maybe if I take out AA or something. confused 

descriptionAMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind! EmptyRe: AMD Giving Out Chips - of the Edible Kind!

more_horiz
I'm hedging my bets on Kaveri! lol   That should really kick Intel hard and get them innovating again.bigsmile I wonder what is the die size and chip thickness ...

more_horiz
@Che$$Bender wrote:
I'm hedging my bets on Kaveri! lol   That should really kick Intel hard and get them innovating again.bigsmile I wonder what is the die size and chip thickness ...
I'm still skeptical on the CPU front. They've been behind for so long, and Intel got away over and over with pulling minor performance gains on each new generation of CPUs. Intel's head isn't in the game anymore and it's not just lack of competition, they are all about mobile. Ivy and especially Haswell were mobile orientated CPUs, and Broadwell is shaping up to be a continuation of the direction Haswell is heading.

more_horiz
After releasing Bulldozer & abandoning the FX line up AMD can only sell potato chips lol 
Couldn't beat Intel, Lets try beating Lays biggrin

more_horiz
@Shiv786 wrote:
After releasing Bulldozer & abandoning the FX line up AMD can only sell potato chips lol 
Couldn't beat Intel, Lets try beating Lays biggrin
I thought the abandoning FX was just a rumor? The 8350 couldn't beat the 4670k in gaming but it beat it in chess. It's not much but it's still something. You can run an APU with decent ram and cram a decent gaming machine if you don't have budget right now for a GPU over $100.

And ouch, that last line is gonna make AMD cry, lol.

more_horiz
i want burgers too lol 
The unlockable Athlon II X3's were the greatest vfm processors ever offered in the history of computing. AMD will be focusing on APUs, i.e. Kaveri and Berlin. The new Steamroller architecture will be based on those, and not FX, which many of us thought.
The FX processors would have been successful if only AMD hadn't abandoned their userbase and preserved backwards compatibility with AM3 boards. Now AM3+ looks like a useless stopgap.
Been an AMD user for the last decade, but my next rig will surely be Intel.

more_horiz
I don't see the need to have socket backwards compatibility. If you are an enthusiast, you'll want to upgrade all the time with new mobo for latest feature sets. If you upgrade once in a blue moon, by the time you upgrade your mobo is way too old to be serviceable. Sure, Intel is a little bit over the top with 1155, 1150, and then new 1150 for Broadwell, but hoarding one AM3 mobo for a decade isn't the right way to go either.

Intel doesn't care anymore and it shows. They are top in fabrication technology and they screw up thermal paste or the glue they use? It's not like Intel didn't know there was an issue, they just never cared enough to address the issue and prevent other such silly mistakes... for overclockers, since we're in the minority. The 3d transistor technology was for power, Haswell offered even more power savings, broadwell had the pitching line of "Massively lower power... at the same performance!" Ivy Bridge E was very uninspiring, it's a generation old architecture, doesn't overclock well. On the CPU front it doesn't look that promising for people who crave more consumer-grade computing power.

But do we have a choice? If AMD's got nothing up their sleeves for the price points Intel will touch what other choice do we have?
For the record, overclocking a Haswell is VERY luck based, and also quite a bit more complex than Sandy. You want to delid and take the risks associated to fix up Intel's boo boo?

more_horiz
The last time AMD surpassed Intel was in P4 era. Since the launch of C2D & C2Q AMD has never been able to match Intel's Performance with same generation hardware.

more_horiz
@Shiv786 wrote:
The last time AMD surpassed Intel was in P4 era. Since the launch of C2D & C2Q AMD has never been able to match Intel's Performance with same generation hardware.
Funny enough, that's about when I first started looking at computers seriously. My first build was Q6600 with SLI 8800gt 512mb. Ahh, that was the pinnacle of value back in dem ol' days. cool 

In unrelated news, I bought a 7970 ghz edition hoping it's binned to overclock higher than 7970, WRONG! Oh well, only wasted 20 bucks. There will be rages to be had if I can't run BF4 the way I want to, because let's face it, Crossfire still sucks. And what the heck is up with their new naming convention?! Confusing as heck. AMD 5000s, 6000s, 7000s... R9-900s.
...What? eek 

more_horiz
@Shiv786 wrote:
Nope. I'm pretty much sure.
Back in 2009, i built a rig for my brother with a C2D E7400.
After 2 months, Athlon II X2 250 came out, which not only costed 1.8k less (4k vs 5.8k), but also performed similarly in games, and even surpassed it in some real world benchmarks. Then i realised how big mistake i made.
This is just an example.
Same happened with Phenom II X2 550BE which costed 6k vs a 8.5k C2D E8400.

I still remember the prices which shows how much pissed i was at that time.

more_horiz
@Che$$Bender wrote:
After 2 months, Athlon II X2 250 came out, which not only costed 1.8k less (4k vs 5.8k), but also performed similarly in games, and even surpassed it in some real world benchmarks. Then i realised how big mistake i made.
This is just an example.

Back then I'm sure AMD still had what, wins in the lower end segment, along with of course, same sockets, lower power, etc. Sure, that can be granted... Personally I look at CPUs at the $200 or higher segment though. If I can't afford $200 CPU upgrade, I'd rather save than have the hassle of a CPU upgrade. Although admittingly it's smaller with AMD.

But what does AMD have now? Sure, they win $200 price point for multi-threaded apps, they got lower end budget gaming. Beyond that, they don't win power consumption anymore. Maybe I'm just spoiled but under $180, $200 I think the CPUs are too n00b for me to even consider... After all $200 is where Intel whips out the k series chip for overclocking. So I admit I might not know as much about the Intel vs AMD CPU battle under 8350's price... I'd just recommend friends to go with APU system if they are intent on spending so little on CPU.

GPU end though I think they are doing better, with frame pacing driver, Never Settle Forever, and now Hawaii GPUs. You know, assuming those deliver. Which I think they will but time will tell. I don't like to speculate TOO much on specific hardware.

more_horiz
@Che$$Bender wrote:
@Shiv786 wrote:
This is just an example.

You are out of your mind or you do not know what you are talking about.I do not know what kind of comparison you are trying to make because i7 was launched in 2008. Even today AMD is making decent value for money products if you care to compare.

more_horiz
Yer going to whip a storm amongst the AMD fanboys I am afraid with that
Price to performance ratio bro
And if AMD stops this (their last success was with FX8350), i don't know how the market will survive without competition. And we all know APUs are not that good.
I still have Athlon II X2 250 razz

more_horiz
Bro We dnt knw future so cant comment on AMD n its performance . Today Intel  beat AMD and its true . U cant deny this.
Open ur eyes . AMD architecture is OLD compare to Intel.
And Dont be a fanboy lol

more_horiz
If it's indeed true that AMD is ditching FX then they are going down APU path, then we're doomed with just Intel creeping along the performance slider with no end in sight. It has been happening for the past 2 years. How much performance do we get with Haswell vs Sandy with both overclocked? Haswell wins due to IPC IF you get standard or above average luck. If not, too bad. But the average OC of what, 4.5, 4.6ghz Haswell is what, 5.2, 5.3? ghz Sandy. We've all heard of Sandies going 5ghz on air. So two generations, all we've gotten in improvements in terms of raw speed is this little? Two generations and we can't even reliably say 4th gen CPUs will clock faster than 2nd gen CPUs for sure? WHAT? Imagine if the newest Hawaii GPUs are not really any faster than AMD's 6000 series. Do you know how mad I'd be?

Anyways, the ditching FX line I still think is rumor, so no need to be *that* pessimistic about the future... yet.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-FX-9590-Death,23809.html

Tom's says it's unverified rumor at this point.

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum