Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionArena or Winboard, which GUI do you use or prefer? EmptyArena or Winboard, which GUI do you use or prefer?

more_horiz
Arena or Winboard, which GUI do you use or prefer? Vote10

Last edited by Richard_1977 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total

descriptionArena or Winboard, which GUI do you use or prefer? EmptyRe: Arena or Winboard, which GUI do you use or prefer?

more_horiz
Arena!

descriptionArena or Winboard, which GUI do you use or prefer? EmptyRe: Arena or Winboard, which GUI do you use or prefer?

more_horiz
Arena isn't open source and development is a lot slower, and there is no Unix version. The flexible window arrangement is a must for multiple monitors, and not being able to drag the board to the full size my monitor can support kinda makes arena a no go for me.  In winboard/xboard if you want or need something, its code is small and pretty darn easy to navigate and put it in yourself, or you can ask one of the devs.  While Arena has pretty darn good customization features compared to other options, winboard/xboard is like the linux of chess GUIs, everything is customizable, and modular so you can plug into it any chess language you want so long as there is an adapter.  Which hgm pretty much already did with the major non-proprietary ones (sorry chessbase)

more_horiz
Winboard FTW.

more_horiz
WINBOARD 4.7.2 sure! cool

descriptionArena or Winboard, which GUI do you use or prefer? EmptyArena for analysis

more_horiz
They both have good uses. Under the Windows hegemony Arena is easier to use for inputting your matches or setting up positions for analysis.

Previously I had used and liked SCID. They have a new fork of this known as SCID vs PC (or SCID vs Mac). These are free and very useful. I gotta revisit this and may vote neither of the above in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by TheLeon on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

more_horiz
arena number 1 guı

more_horiz
@TheLeon wrote:
They both have good uses. Under the Windows hegemony Arena is easier to use for inputting your matches or setting up positions for analysis.

Not that I want to push winboard on you or anything, if you found something you like then great. The whole point is chess anyway so how can anything be bad. :)

But i just wanted to point out winboard does all that too. You can input games as easy as copy paste from the OS. And with winboard you can manage chess engines pretty darn easily for single matches, as well as manage entire tournaments with them with round robins or gauntlets.

Previously I had used and liked SCID.  They have a new fork of this known as SCID vs PC (or SCID vs Mac).  These are free and very useful. I gotta revisit this and may vote neither of the above in a couple of weeks.

I took a look at SCID for MAC. Gotta give it props for being a solid, free GUI on the mac when there are so few good ones. If i have one complaint on it is that you can only use FICS as its tellnet connect (If it had to pick one FICS would be my ICS of choice) but it wouldn't be hard to let the user input their own. What if they had a chessclub.com account?

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum