Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionHAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum ! EmptyHAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum !

more_horiz
SilvianR  wink 

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum ! Happy_new_year_2014

descriptionHAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum ! EmptyHappy new year 2014

more_horiz
Happy new year 2014!

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum ! Feliz_11

descriptionHAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum ! EmptyRe: HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum !

more_horiz
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum ! New-ye12

descriptionHAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum ! EmptyRe: HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum !

more_horiz
Happy New Year! clap

more_horiz
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum ! Feliz-ano-novo-gif-2

CheSS 2u MembeR By MoHaMeD NaYeeM

more_horiz
"Eighteenth-century Scottish poet Robert Burns may well be most famous not for a poem he wrote, exactly, but for a poem he wrote down. According to Burns Country, a comprehensive website devoted to the poet, Burns, in a letter to an acquaintance, wrote, "There is an old song and tune which has often thrilled through my soul. You know I am an enthusiast in old Scotch songs. I shall give you the verses on the other sheet... Light be the turf on the breast of the heaven-inspired poet who composed this glorious fragment! There is more of the fire of native genius in it than in half a dozen of modern English Bacchanalians."

That song was a version that Burns fashioned of "Auld Lang Syne," which annually rings in the New Year at parties across the world, though most often sung out of tune and with improvised lyrics, as it has been described as "the song that nobody knows." Though the history of the authorship of the poem is labyrinthine and disputed, Burns is generally credited with penning at least two original stanzas to the version that is most familiar to revelers of the New Year. Here are the first two stanzas as Burns recorded them:

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
   And never brought to mind?
   Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
   And auld lang syne!

Chorus.-For auld lang syne, my dear,
   For auld lang syne.
   We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
   For auld lang syne.

Undoubtedly, some rousing version of the Scottish song echoed through the New Year’s night near where Thomas Hardy wrote his haunting goodbye to the ninteenth century, "The Darkling Thrush." Dated December 30, 1900, which signaled the end of the century in Hardy’s view, the poem intones a much more somber sense of the end of one time and beginning of another. Consider the last lines of the opening stanza, which set a grim scene:

The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
   Like strings of broken lyres,
   And all mankind that haunted nigh
   Had sought their household fires.
"

Yikes!

Happy New Year Everyone!
Poems for the New Year

more_horiz
Happy New Year to all! I hope 2014 is a great year for everyone.

more_horiz
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2014, Chess2U forum ! New_ye10

more_horiz
Happy New Year 2014 to All

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum