Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionSystem Auto-shutdown when using Houdini Engine? EmptySystem Auto-shutdown when using Houdini Engine?

more_horiz
Hello Everyone,

When I am trying to play a match using Houdini engine or to run a books tournament using Houdini engine, my system shutdown automatically after sometime and It could be due to excessive CPU usage or may be overheating (not sure though). The same works fine when I run SF engines. Any idea/suggestions, how to solve this problem other than improving my system configuration.  lol  I have seen people running H4 engine on I3 machines without any problem.  eek 

System configuration:
CHIP: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 - M520 2.40GHz

descriptionSystem Auto-shutdown when using Houdini Engine? EmptyRe: System Auto-shutdown when using Houdini Engine?

more_horiz
Auto-shutdown is a fail-safe device that every computer faces (including my own) when your computer runs into some trouble. Usually, it means your computer is running under too much stress, and shutting down is your operation system's default defense mechanism. Don't worry that it happens, and just wait for a few and restart the match. Your games that you finished with your engine will be saved. Also, be grateful that your computer has a an auto-kill switch. Do so prevents your computer from melting your CPU!

descriptionSystem Auto-shutdown when using Houdini Engine? EmptyRe: System Auto-shutdown when using Houdini Engine?

more_horiz
VocalTechnique wrote:
Auto-shutdown is a fail-safe device that every computer faces (including my own) when your computer runs into some trouble. Usually, it means your computer is running under too much stress, and shutting down is your operation system's default defense mechanism. Don't worry that it happens, and just wait for a few and restart the match. Your games that you finished with your engine will be saved. Also, be grateful that your computer has a an auto-kill switch. Do so prevents your computer from melting your CPU!

Thanks for the information Vocal. It seems like some internal dust cleaning is required as cpu fan movement is too much which indicates overheating issue.

Also you mentioned that the tournament can be restarted in case the system shutdowns. Will it start from the beginning or from the match before the shutdown?

more_horiz
Yes.

- Restart your computer.
- Wait for all start up items to load before operating any    CPU intensive programs like Chessbase.
- under power settings for computer, set to "power saver" or something equivalent. This will prompt your computer to "sleep" any threads that are not in use and thus will help alleviate any extra heat.
- a major (and common) mistake among testing is the idea that setting your computer parameters to the highest power setting, highest amount of cores, and highest amount of hash will yield the best results. In my opinion, these do apply for engine matches, but is not needed for testing purposes.
- open GUI
- open [engine match]
- you will notice all of your engine and book parameters are saved.
- you will also note that all of your pgn games are still saved for future use.
- if you are not sure, simply check [cross diagram]
- you are now ready to resume your test

more_horiz
VocalTechnique wrote:
Yes.

- Restart your computer.
- Wait for all start up items to load before operating any    CPU intensive programs like Chessbase.
- under power settings for computer, set to "power saver" or something equivalent. This will prompt your computer to "sleep" any threads that are not in use and thus will help alleviate any extra heat.
- a major (and common) mistake among testing is the idea that setting your computer parameters to the highest power setting, highest amount of cores, and highest amount of hash will yield the best results. In my opinion, these do apply for engine matches, but is not needed for testing purposes.
- open GUI
- open [engine match]
- you will notice all of your engine and book parameters are saved.
- you will also note that all of your pgn games are still saved for future use.
- if you are not sure, simply check [cross diagram]
- you are now ready to resume your test

Thank you..  clap clap 

more_horiz
I am using H4 and Doom D3,, There is no issue to me,,

My Laptop i3 - 2.3GHz,,
Win 7 ultimate 64
8 GB RAM

more_horiz
s.chess wrote:
Hello Everyone,

When I am trying to play a match using Houdini engine or  to run a books tournament using Houdini engine, my system shutdown automatically after sometime and It could be due to excessive CPU usage or may be overheating (not sure though).  The same works fine when I run SF engines.  Any idea/suggestions, how to solve this problem other than improving my system configuration.  lol   I have seen people running H4 engine on I3 machines without any problem.  eek 

System configuration:
CHIP: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 - M520 2.40GHz

Just try only 2CUPs do not use 4CUPs..

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum