Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionA New Sub-Forum for Computer Chess Opening Books EmptyA New Sub-Forum for Computer Chess Opening Books

more_horiz
Chess2U Members,

Beginning Sunday, 3 August 2014, A new sub-section will be implemented into the sub-forum: Computer Chess Opening Books. This sub-section will be called:

Commercial and Private Opening Books & Book Origins
Commercial and Private Opening Books & Authenticity Discussion

The objective of this sub-section is to hold discussions with the Chess2U community about practices of Commercial and Private Opening Books measuring their authenticity and discussing possible origins of the opening books being offered here at Chess2U. This tool will allow the members of the community to voice their opinions and ideas in a team setting with the aim of offering constructive criticism to the benefit of everyone.

The new sub-section is here: https://www.chess2u.com/f3-commercial-and-private-opening-books-book-origins and is located at the bottom of the Computer Chess Opening Books forum page.

Snapshot:  
https://servimg.com/u/f39/18/65/52/76/subsec10.png

descriptionA New Sub-Forum for Computer Chess Opening Books EmptyRe: A New Sub-Forum for Computer Chess Opening Books

more_horiz
Good Initiative..  clap 

descriptionA New Sub-Forum for Computer Chess Opening Books EmptyRe: A New Sub-Forum for Computer Chess Opening Books

more_horiz
Forum rule #10:
https://www.chess2u.com/t733-forum-rules10
10 - If an opening book/engine is a clone of another book/engine through forum member investigation, the book/engine will be marked, "clone". The only way to delete the clone books/engines, the original author must send a complaint about the clone book/engine containing all the evidences in the Opening Books/Chess Engines sub-forum.

more_horiz
Thanks Sir absolutely a necessity.

more_horiz
@Nathanael Russell wrote:
Forum rule #10:
https://www.chess2u.com/t733-forum-rules10
10 - If an opening book/engine is a clone of another book/engine through forum member investigation, the book/engine will be marked, "clone". The only way to delete the clone books/engines, the original author must send a complaint about the clone book/engine containing all the evidences in the Opening Books/Chess Engines sub-forum.

++1

more_horiz
In my thinking it is a good way to have here a subforum....this is really a good idea.

I hope also everybody use fair ways of making books.....i am not a good book maker, it is also
not my way to make the best book.

But for my understanding to your forum rules #10:

How to you want to check this...may be i am wrong...but most of us use collecting games from playchess, Infinity chess, book wars tours and others.
I think a lot of book will have the same line in their books....most look like a clone book, but they aren´t.

best wishes

more_horiz
You have a good point. Thanks WoodyStress.

[Hide]WoodyStress,

Thank you for your interest in this topic, and I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

One very important reason amongst purely ethical reasons for my desire to find a solution to this problem of cloning books in particular is that the very nature of copying the hard-earned and well thought out creation of another computer chess enthusiast destroys any incentive for creativity and innovation.

There is a systematic method of analysis that requires many computer resources as well as human resources, the greatest of which is time. Many of the variants that the original author decided to use are targeted from his or her own knowledge of positional and tactical understanding. Each computer chess enthusiast, just like each human chess player, has the capacity to bring a new idea to this open field, because no one enthusiast processes data exactly like another.

Unfortunately, as cloning gains in popularity in computer chess as with computer chess engines, the greater the goal for individuality will be slowly drowned out by statistical noise: who's novelty line is who's and which database of games were added. The seductive trap that this offers is what seems to be a shortcut with the same results. The priority used to be focused on finding the newest lines which have not been played to that moment and uncharted territory with less fear of losing; those who were able to create those lines were highly regarded in the chess community, both human and engine. The goal was the same for both the chess player and the computer chess player: to find the truth.

In my definition, a strong book should exhibit both new ideas and new opening lines that illustrate its author's knowledge of the game. Since all opening attacking lines have a counter-attacking line, many authors would focus on creating books that "countered" popular books. Even if two opening book authors use the same database, each has and should strive to find new ideas and counter ideas.

It is an assumption to conclude that two opening book authors with equal skill will obtain the same cutting edge theory from databases, engine rooms, and games, and the result is their work will look like clones. We as a community should give ourselves more credit and more canvas to paint with.[/Hide]

more_horiz
@Nathanael Russell wrote:
WoodyStress,

Thank you for your interest in this topic, and I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

One very important reason amongst purely ethical reasons for my desire to find a solution to this problem of cloning books in particular is that the very nature of copying the hard-earned and well thought out creation of another computer chess enthusiast destroys any incentive for creativity and innovation.

There is a systematic method of analysis that requires many computer resources as well as human resources, the greatest of which is time. Many of the variants that the original author decided to use are targeted from his or her own knowledge of positional and tactical understanding. Each computer chess enthusiast, just like each human chess player, has the capacity to bring a new idea to this open field, because no one enthusiast processes data exactly like another.

Unfortunately, as cloning gains in popularity in computer chess as with computer chess engines, the greater the goal for individuality will be slowly drowned out by statistical noise: who's novelty line is who's and which database of games were added. The seductive trap that this offers is what seems to be a shortcut with the same results. The priority used to be focused on finding the newest lines which have not been played to that moment and uncharted territory with less fear of losing; those who were able to create those lines were highly regarded in the chess community, both human and engine. The goal was the same for both the chess player and the computer chess player: to find the truth.

In my definition, a strong book should exhibit both new ideas and new opening lines that illustrate its author's knowledge of the game. Since all opening attacking lines have a counter-attacking line, many authors would focus on creating books that "countered" popular books. Even if two opening book authors use the same database, each has and should strive to find new ideas and counter ideas.

It is an assumption to conclude that two opening book authors with equal skill will obtain the same cutting edge theory from databases, engine rooms, and games, and the result is their work will look like clones. We as a community should give ourselves more credit and more canvas to paint with.

I completely agree with you Nathanael.

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum