Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionCM 2028 Aristotle Handheld Chess Computer from Chess Baron EmptyCM 2028 Aristotle Handheld Chess Computer from Chess Baron

more_horiz
Hi all,

For wider sharing, I translate for Chess2U a text I initially posted on 'Le fou numérique' french forum:

Some more information since I now get this small device in my hand:

The one I received (May, 2014) is a 7" Allwinner A13-Mid Android tablet (made in China, rather nice looking quality). Software delivered already set up : Chess Genius, Shredder Chess, Analyse This (including Critter 1.6a and Stockfish 3 engines); the Chess.com app (internet online play), iChess (chess puzzles), and Chess Wallpapers for the home background. The commercial software is fully registered, of course.

The processor is a single core 1.01Ghz ARM Cortex A8.
353Mb RAM is available from 512Mb included (the difference being used by the system).
The Android version is 4.0.4.

The storage is a 4Gb flash memory shared between:
system : 1.36Gb
Apps : 0.98Gb
internal SDCard : 1.66Gb

A microSD slot is available, so I inserted a 16Gb SDHC card (less than 12€) showing 14.8Gb actually usable.
The 7 inches touchscreen shows 800x444 pixels, and two cams are available.
The Google Play Store is available and some basic apps are already installed in addition to the chess ones (calc, calendar, camera, clock, file manager and so on...)

The tablet is delivered with power supply, soft case, two micro-USB to A-USB cables (one male and one female).
The male connector is used to connect the tablet to a computer, and so gain access to the SD cards of the tablet from the computer.
The female connector is used to connect an external USB storage to the tablet, and so gain access to the USB storage from the tablet.
The power supply I received is UK standard, I bought a french standard adaptator (more or less 5 euros).

The battery capacity is close to the one claimed by ChessBaron, about 4 hours WiFi off. It is obviously reduced in case of heavy processor load (such as setting a chess engine 'ponder on').

I do not have played enough up to date to provide accurate information about Chess Genius and Shredder playing levels; but Shredder is clearly the strongest (Chess Genius user interface being more comfortable TMHO). The playing level of Shredder is set with an 'ELO' parameter; the top level is tagged 2600 resulting in a time per move close to 15 seconds. No ponder option available. One should keep some distance with the claimed playing level as it can be a selling argument.

As it is possible to download more programs and engines, updating and upraising the playing level is not a problem; on such a small device the best engines can play at international grand master level.

I installed the TSCP engine in order to use its internal benchmark, here is the result:
bench Aristotle@1.01Ghz :
Nodes: 550778
Best time: 6079 ms
Nodes per second: 90603 (Score: 0.373)
reference : 1=Athlon XP 2000+@1.67Ghz

It is 35% faster than my old computer:
bench AMD K6-2@475Mhz :
Best time: 8180 ms
Nodes per second: 67332 (Score: 0.277)

and 30% faster than a RaspberryPi@700Mhz (according to the score published on TSCP programmer Tom Kerrigan's home page)

It is also 5 times slower than one core of my more recent laptop:
bench T4500@2.3Ghz :
Best time: 1217 ms
Nodes per second: 452570 (Score: 1.861)

To summarize: a pleasant pack, with far enough power for the playing level I could expect and stand, allowing non Android-skilled players to get a nice and up-to-date, ready-to-use chess computer.
I also point out a very good support from ChessBaron, their couriers company initially made an error but as soon as I got back to them they resumed the delivery process very efficiently.

descriptionCM 2028 Aristotle Handheld Chess Computer from Chess Baron EmptyRe: CM 2028 Aristotle Handheld Chess Computer from Chess Baron

more_horiz
How much does it cost?

descriptionCM 2028 Aristotle Handheld Chess Computer from Chess Baron EmptyRe: CM 2028 Aristotle Handheld Chess Computer from Chess Baron

more_horiz
Hi Steve, 80£ +shipping (if outside UK).
More details on Chess Baron's page

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum