Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionEngine Origins EmptyEngine Origins

more_horiz
I recently viewed a pie chart displaying engine origins, the charts center indicated (if I'm correct) that the origins of engines derived from the engine Fruit. Having said this, some of the engines that were listed actually pre-dated the release of Fruit. How does an engines origins derived from an engine when some of the engines I had downloaded actually pre-dated Fruit?!idea

descriptionEngine Origins EmptyRe: Engine Origins

more_horiz
Do you mean some engines on the tree are released before Fruit and can not be derived from Fruit? Which engines exactly please?
NB: Basically, noone can be older than his father :-)

more_horiz
@sharpov wrote:
I recently viewed a pie chart displaying engine origins

Engine Origins 6xyk

descriptionEngine Origins EmptyOrigins

more_horiz
I'm pretty sure that Yace is and may be Spike also and I didn't Zappa and the early versions of Stockfish, Glarerung. thumb up

more_horiz
I don't understand the progression of this spider web. I'm reaching out for clarification :

1: The numbers under each engine name.
2: Stockfish is not branching off of Glaurung.
3: The chart indicates Houdini 4 branches off of Robodini 1.1, and Robbolito is on a seperate branch.

Robbolito [Ippolit Family]
∟ Houdini 4
- - ∟ (Robodini 1.1) RE Houdini 3

descriptionEngine Origins EmptyOrigins

more_horiz
Yes, I have downloaded some of these engines before I ever heard of Fruit. Shredder is one that might have pre-dated Fruit, Fritz was also predating, Gandalf, Wchess, Zappa 1.0, MChess I'm sure was. Some of the engines I have downloaded go back 15 years or better, which pre-date Fruit. cool

more_horiz
I'd seen that forking chart previously and i've read tons of comments on it. Finally, I don't see clearly the credibility of this tree. Some parts are correct (mainly the ones where the source was stated by their authors), some are not.
My humble opinion is that without trustable, proven scientific base attached to them, these illustrations can't be considered more serious than speculation. So i advise to not get fooled about origins unless they are disclosed by the authors.
Or you can do your own judgement about two engines suspect to be identical by extracting detailed PV's of two engines by depth, time elapsed to reach etc on dozens of key positions and compare. This method ensures a result, maybe not 100% accurate but somehow trustable. There are many sites showing that kind of comparisons.
My assumption is that one day, as per the ongoing trends, all engines will be obliged to agree on the same move and varieties will disappear. Look at the cars. They look the same over and over unless brand style takes over performance. In chess, we don't care about style but about pure performance :-)

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum