Chess2u
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chess2uLog in

descriptionBook for Chess Engine vs Engine Matches EmptyBook for Chess Engine vs Engine Matches

more_horiz
What is the best opening book that I can use for for engine vs engine matches that will not result in multiple games being played out with the same moves. Meaning that if I use EngineA against EngineB for 50 matches that for example match 2 does not have the same moves played as in match 6 resulting in the same outcome winner.

descriptionBook for Chess Engine vs Engine Matches EmptyRe: Book for Chess Engine vs Engine Matches

more_horiz
What GUI are you using?

descriptionBook for Chess Engine vs Engine Matches EmptyRe: Book for Chess Engine vs Engine Matches

more_horiz
Deep Fritz 14 GUI

more_horiz
Perfect2014.ctg opening book is good. I think the only way to avoid repeating opening positions is to run an openings test suite; that way, you get all of the advantages of the openings while being able to choose and control how you wish.

more_horiz
@Nathanael Russell wrote:
Perfect2014.ctg opening book is good.

Agreed.

more_horiz
Perfect2014.ctg opening book is good. I think the only way to avoid repeating opening positions is to run an openings test suite; that way, you get all of the advantages of the openings while being able to choose and control how you wish.

How do I do an "Openings test suite"?

more_horiz
@roland23 wrote:

How do I do an "Openings test suite"?

Send me a PM. I will show you.

more_horiz
Thank You. I was able to do the engine vs engine match utilizing the "Opening Database". Now I tried to use this Database on an engine tournament consisting of about 4 engines and this engine tournament is a round robin tournament with two cycles. The only thing is that all 12 games are played with the same Database Opening which is the first one from the Opening DB file. If there a way that different randomly openings can be used. This is what results from using the Opening Database:

Match 1) EngineA vs EngineD using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 2) EngineB vs EngineC using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 3) EngineD vs EngineC using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 4) EngineA vs EngineB using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 5) EngineB vs EngineD using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 6) EngineC vs EngineA using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 7) EngineD vs EngineA using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 8) EngineC vs EngineB using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 9) EngineC vs EngineD using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 10) EngineB vs EngineA using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 11) EngineB vs EngineD using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 12) EngineC vs EngineA using (Database Opening: 1)

I want to see if this is possible:

Match 1) EngineA vs EngineD using (Database Opening: Randomly 5)
Match 2) EngineB vs EngineC using (Database Opening: 22)
Match 3) EngineD vs EngineC using (Database Opening: 17)
Match 4) EngineA vs EngineB using (Database Opening: 42)
Match 5) EngineB vs EngineD using (Database Opening: 1)
Match 6) EngineC vs EngineA using (Database Opening: 33)

Match 7) EngineD vs EngineA using (Database Opening: 5, because same DB Opening from Match 1)
Match 8) EngineC vs EngineB using (Database Opening: 22, because same DB Opening from Match 2)
Match 9) EngineC vs EngineD using (Database Opening: 17, because same DB Opening from Match 3)
Match 10) EngineB vs EngineA using (Database Opening: 42, because same DB Opening from Match 4)
Match 11) EngineB vs EngineD using (Database Opening: 1, because same DB Opening from Match 5)
Match 12) EngineC vs EngineA using (Database Opening: 33, because same DB Opening from Match 6)

If this is possible in Fritz GUI please let me know. If this is not possible in Fritz GUI, is there any other GUI where this is possible. Anyone that can help me, I would really appreciate it.

more_horiz
@roland23 wrote:
I want to see if this is possible:

Match  1) EngineA vs EngineD  using (Database Opening: Randomly 5)
Match  2) EngineB vs EngineC  using (Database Opening: 22)
Match  3) EngineD vs EngineC  using (Database Opening: 17)
Match  4) EngineA vs EngineB  using (Database Opening: 42)
Match  5) EngineB vs EngineD  using (Database Opening: 1)
Match  6) EngineC vs EngineA  using (Database Opening: 33)

Match  7) EngineD vs EngineA  using (Database Opening: 5,  because same DB Opening from Match 1)
Match  8) EngineC vs EngineB  using (Database Opening: 22, because same DB Opening from Match 2)
Match  9) EngineC vs EngineD  using (Database Opening: 17, because same DB Opening from Match 3)
Match 10) EngineB vs EngineA  using (Database Opening: 42, because same DB Opening from Match 4)
Match 11) EngineB vs EngineD  using (Database Opening: 1,   because same DB Opening from Match 5)
Match 12) EngineC vs EngineA  using (Database Opening: 33, because same DB Opening from Match 6)

The type of randomization you are looking for is not possible in a database test suite. The function of the test suite moves all participating engines through first opening position and does not move forward until all engines have played that opening. Example:

First Cycle
Engine A - Position 1
Engine B - Position 1
Engine C - Position 1
Engine D - Position 1
Not...
Engine A - Position 3
Engine B - Position 1
Engine C - Position 24
Engine D - Position 19

What are your intentions? Perhaps I might understand better.

more_horiz
My intentions were to have an engine tournament where not all matches were based on one (two cycles -- round robin) opening from the test suite DB.

more_horiz
@roland23 wrote:
My intentions were to have an engine tournament where not all matches were based on one (two cycles -- round robin) opening from the test suite DB.  

If you use an opening test suite, you can utilize as many openings as that test suite will allow and/or you decide to allocate from the opening positions.

more_horiz
Thank You and I really appreciate all of your help.

more_horiz
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum